Welcome to Go See Run Eat Drink!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thanks for stopping by. I've started this blog in an attempt to chronicle my year-long traveling adventure, including the preparations, the nerves, the packing, the good-byes, the sights, the running, the food and drink, the fun, the highs, the lows and, finally, the coming home. For those who are new to this plan, here it is in four easy steps:

1. Work in my current job for one more season (until the end of May, 2009).
2. Sell my house and put my stuff in storage.
3. Travel the world for a year.
4. Come back to Canada, find a new job in a new city, and start a new life.

Why did I decide to write a blog instead of just emailing my exploits to friends and family? Well, I thought that pushing my emails on people might get a bit tiresome for those left behind in the cold and dark of a Canadian winter ("Oh great, another email from Pam, with pictures of her sunning on a terrace on the Piazza San Marco. Charming. I'll read that as soon as I finish shoveling the driveway for the 9th time this week.") Also, I thought it would be nice to have everything arranged in a neat package for myself to look over during and after the whole event. A blog seems like a good way to do both those things. I can keep a sort of diary of my experience, and you can come and look when you want, if you want. The name of the blog is, of course, comprised of the 5 main activities of the trip, in the approximate order in which they will occur: going places, seeing things, having a bit of a run, and then having something to eat and drink.

I have to say a big big thank you to Phonella, my Blogger layout expert, HTML coach and overall booster. The reason this blogs looks as good and functions as well as it does is entirely due to her work. Thanks! Go ahead and click around to discover all the great features of this blog, or for an exhaustive guide to Go See Run Eat Drink, check out my post called Blog 101.

And because no blog of mine would be complete without a mention of the Boston Marathon, here is me at the top of Heartbreak Hill during the 112th running of the Boston Marathon on April 21st, 2008.

5 Comments:

Pam said...

And this is what it will look like when someone writes a comment on my blog, like "Hey Pam,what an awesome idea for you to quit your job, sell your house, abandon your dog and travel for a year!"

Anonymous said...

It's been a joy to work with you on this project and I wish you much success and enjoyment in your upcoming journey.

Please know, I'll put my snow shovel down periodically and pop in to see where in the world you're at now.

Bon Voyage GSRED!

Anonymous said...

Pam it will be a year to remember. But the voyage has started now so,remember to enjoy this part too! I look forward to seeing the world through your eyes and words.

ML

Anonymous said...

I agree whole-heartedly with Marty. We consider this planning year, and the year after our trip to be part of the trip - it's a journey the whole way!

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam, So Claude got me to bookmark your blogsite...he's hooked and I can't wait to read some for myself. I have always known you as a quiet, private person and so your blog is really a bold statement. Plus I didn't know you played hockey!

Meghan Robert

Post a Comment