Go See Run Eat Drink... done

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The time has come to put this blog to bed.  It’s fulfilled its purpose, and there just isn’t anything more to say on the subject.  Hell, even the prodigal package from Africa has now completed its journey.  Go See Run Eat Drink was always intended to be just what’s in the title: “My year travelling the world – the getting ready, the going, and the coming home.”  So I wrote about getting ready for the trip – researching gear choices, planning the itinerary, and dealing with the anxieties of such a major life upheaval.  And then I was off and I wrote about the trip.  God, did I write – 275 posts in all.  (Aside: Before leaving I told my Dad, a decidedly non-techno type, that I’d figure out how to print out the blog posts and mail them to him periodically. (Of course Karen ended up being the one to do all this… I just emailed her the files.)  I even made up a binder with a nice blog-themed cover and filled it with all the posts up to that date and gave it to him for Christmas 2008.  By the time I finally fetched up on his doorstep again in June of 2010 the blog printouts had swelled out of their original binder and filled TWO more, all three of which were being leant out to other non-techno people in a weird sort of Luddite Valley Post system. But honestly, THREE binders?  I need an editor!)

I wrote about camping with hashers in Scotland, and hangovers in Russia and dead computers in Copenhagen and lost wallets in Barcelona and marathons in Athens and dodgy cab rides in Nairobi… and that was only the first half of the trip.  I wrote about places and people and things (and food!), and also about how I felt about it all, and about when I got cranky or homesick or just tired of living out of a suitcase.  There was also a lot that didn’t make it into the blog, but frankly that stuff is none of your damned business.  If you wanted to get the WHOLE whole story, you should have come with me (like Laurie and Patti!).

P1010312
Me and Patti.  Oh, and the Taj Mahal.

And then I came home.  There were a few posts after I got back, but essentially that’s where the story ended.  Now my life has, naturally, entered a whole new phase.  I knew when I got back from the trip that I’d end up living in a new city, with a new job, and that the blog would be over, just like the trip.  It all seems like it was a hundred years ago, and now I look back at old blog posts almost as if I’m reading about someone else’s life. 
I hoped that I’d be able to write some kind of grand summing up post to end it all with great insight and clarity.  Clearly that’s not going to happen, so instead we exit with a bit of a whimper.  As for insight and clarity, I’m not sure I can say that I was profoundly changed by my travels.  I’m the same person I was before, except now I’m just a bit more, well, worldly.  I think I’ve got a broader perspective now and I’m definitely more confident and more easy-going.  Travelling around the world, especially (mostly) alone for an extended amount of time requires a level of flexibility that was not a big part of my personality before.  And now people laugh when I claim that I’m basically an introvert.  I mean you just CAN’T be an introvert when you spend a year interacting with strangers all day, every day, so I guess now I’m a recovering introvert. Also, I can sleep almost anywhere, and my hair is longer.  But inside? Still Pam.

Of course that doesn’t mean nothing’s changed.  On the contrary, almost everything has changed.  I’m not just living in a different city, I’m living on a different continent, and that’s something I would never have contemplated if I hadn’t taken the plunge, chucked out my old life, and turned my face to something completely new.  It’s not been a cakewalk so far, this new life, but I think it’s got potential, and I’m glad I’m doing it.  And I’m definitely glad I did the trip.  For all those of you who hear about a trip like mine and say, “Oh, I wish I could do something like that.” I say, “You can.  All you have to do is quit your job and sell your house.”  Easy.  Ok, maybe not easy, but definitely worth it.

Vic Falls
One of the best days of the trip. Or of my life.  Standing in the water at the edge of Victoria Falls. Like I said… worth it.

And that’s all there is to say.  “Go See Run Eat Drink: My year travelling the world – the getting ready, the going and the coming home.”  It did what it said on the tin.  And now it’s done.

Thanks for coming along for the ride.




(Oh, and for those of you who want to read whatever happens to cross my mind these days… click here.)

41 Comments:

Karen said...

That is not an exit with a whimper. It is an appropriate final chapter.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Pam. It was great fun.

Onward!

denise:) said...

I'm glad I found you just in time then! I just subscribed to your GSED blog last week - we're planning a 3 week trip to Italy/Germany and I found your posts on Italy helpful and fun to read. We've been to London so now I'm subcribing to your new blog, and living vicariously thru your new adventures!
d:)

Laura C said...

I think it's a good excuse to raise a glass. A toast to a mighty journey, which you generously shared with the rest of us.
Thank you! and yes, onwards is right!

Laura C said...

And I am remiss that I didn't mention the girls...who loved following the trip and hearing of your adventures. For them, it is fact. They know someone who has done this, it can be done. Thanks for that too.

Ian Timshel said...

It was a mighty fine ride. Thanks very much for sharing so well. Onward indeed.

FLF said...

Thanks for the ride, it was wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Bravo Pam! The road goes ever on...

Jim Smiley said...

Thanks for taking me along for the ride. I enjoyed living vicariously through you!

Jim S

Heather Moore said...

I hope you don't take it down tho! I'm not done reading it. (yes I know - I'm seriously behind! ;) )

Colleen said...

Pam: Another "thank you" for sharing the adventures with all of us. I enjoyed tuning in over the year to see where you were and what was happening -- the highs and the lows -- all written in your wonderful style. Congratulations on a great adventure and for moving on to a new challenge. On to the next chapter!! Colleen

Vacation Remix said...

Keep up the good writing!

Sophie said...

hanging around the edge of Victoria falls is something I can't help but envy.

daphne said...

Thanks Pam for having faithfully produced this very interesting blog. I stumbled across it last year, and enjoyed my vicarious world travel. I wrote about our 3 month trip to New Zealand, and know how much work is involved.

The best of luck with your life in London.

BonyW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The photo at the waterfall is trully amazing. I bet it's a breathtaking experience.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Really great post full of lovely photos.


Holiday

MelMel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fred said...

Oh man that waterfall is awesome!So inspiring photos!

Ellie L. said...

It must have felt great to fulfill your dream, I want to travel for a year too but I really can't imagine my life like that but your blog is very interesting. I think you should write what happened after the trip!

Clark Move said...

Hehe, a very good lifestyle it is, eat pray and love, but first you should work, work work... to be able to affort the others...

Uganda safari said...

Your sharing tour trip provided news all of good. Really wonderful news begin that we are easily catch for your experience.

Samual James said...

Nice post and great pic with Taj Mahal the symbol of love.
Orlando airport transport

Moving Man said...

At the edge of the Victoria Falls>!? Wwow! That looks scary! Werent u at least a bit terrified?

Mumbai Tourism said...

I am really excited to read your experience.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David said...

Great Pictures guys.

Suresh Urs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steven Johnson said...

I have read a lot of writings in my life. But your writing has attracted me most. Your writing style is different and impressive. Can you post another writing?

Unknown said...

This looks incredible! It looks like the perfect place to set up a hammock and just relax for the day :)

animation institute in chennai said...


Your article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .

Hypnotherapy in Chennai said...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing this post..

cubic zirconia india said...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing this post..

Parrotfish Journey said...

Hell yes i so agree with you.. Just leave those damn obligations behind and just life .

I have done the same . I used to work in office 9-5 .. Come home .. Eat , sleep and back to the same start again. Depressing .. Then i just quit my job , leave everything behing and just explore the world and see what out there.

You photo by falls . Priceless . Those are moments we live for !!

CoreTreks said...

I went through Your article. Nice writing.. I recommend everyone to go through this at least once. The writing itself is very interesting.
If you have some time, consider reading my writing as well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks your post, It's useful.
Dịch vụ xe tải giá rẻ
dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa bắc nam
Cho thuê xe tải hà nội

تور تایلند said...

Awesome article, Great, & Informative.

Unknown said...

شهر آنتالیا دارای اماکن تاریخی مهمی میباشد که از آن جمله میتوان به آسپندوس ، آمفی تـأتر شهر سیده اشاره کرد .ازمراکز مهم خرید در آنتالیا ، فروشگاه میگروس که مجموعه ای از فروشگاههای معروف داخلی وخارجی می باشد میتوان اشاره کرد .شمامیتوانید با رزرو تور آمنالیا ارزاناز این شهر زیبا دیدن کنید

apex associates said...

very nice places and thanks to you for writing about such a nice places.
accounting services

Gorilla Safari said...

This is a great article! Few articles stay relevant for years. Good works guys, you should keep sharing travel experiences and ideas

Uganda Safari said...

I have read this twice and its always amazing to read good articles. Thank you guys for sharing with us.

True Uganda safaris said...

very nice

Post a Comment